You can save money and even reduce your environmental impact by using sand as an alternative to cat litter. Although there are other cheap substitutes such as newspapers and sawdust, when you buy sands Australia, sand has been proven to be the better substitute and more environmentally friendly than commercial cat litter.
Disadvantages of newspaper and sawdust as cat litter
First up, you will need A LOT of newspapers, and in these days of paperless media, it will be cumbersome searching for them, even if you do buy newspapers daily. Secondly, you need a shredder, which is an additional burden, not to mention that your cat might not like the smell of newspaper.
Sawdust, on the other hand, is a known human carcinogen. Also, your cat may breathe in the fine sawdust.
Sand as cat litter
Have you observed that cats seem to be attracted to children’s sandboxes? That’s because sand is a natural litterbox for cats. You can easily create the same attractive setting by using sand in your feline’s litter box. The advantages of using sand include:
- Sand naturally clumps when it is wet and does not hold cat urine odours. The ammonia from cat urine is absorbed by the sand.
- Sand imitates the natural conditions cats experience when they do their “toilet thing” in nature.
- Cats naturally like sand, and if you use sand in your garden or your children’s sandbox, then you’ll know this by finding cat poop there.
- Sand is a lot less expensive than commercial litter.
- Parasites will not grow or stay in the sand.
- Sand maintains a clean environment and is not a carcinogen to humans.
What type of sand should you use for your cat’s litter box?
The cat’s litter box needs to have premium quality sand to relieve themselves comfortably while maintaining hygiene for everyone. So, don’t just go searching for sand outside the house. The sand you need must be a coarse granular material and should be loose. Such type of sand includes White Straddie Sand (used for sandboxes and long jump pits), Fine River Sand (used for tile grout or paving joints), and Coarse River Sand (used as a base for pavers, bedding tiles, or as propagation sand). All this sand is available in the Gold Coast area from Labrador Landscape Supplies.
Sand for your pets, and more, from Labrador Landscape
When you need to buy sands Australia in the Gold Coast area, Labrador Landscape Supplies has everything your pets need. You can also purchase sand for your pet fish aquarium, or other landscape supplies, such as gravel, soil, cypress mulch, pine bark, and more. For your pets (and gardening) needs, visit Labrador Landscape at their website, https://landscape-supply.com.au/.