Of all the garden rocks for sale in your local landscape store, igneous or lava rock is probably the most unique. Lava rock, also called scoria, is created by the eruption of volcanoes. It is formed when the molten lava spewed from a volcano solidifies with air bubbles still trapped inside. Lava rock can be grey, black, or reddish-brown.
Lava rock as mulch
Being natural in origin, lava rock is suitable for use as mulch in organic gardens or for landscaping. Unlike artificial mulches, lava rock doesn’t have any environmental impacts. As mulch, it also lasts a long time.
Benefits of using lava rock as mulch
- Lava rock makes for good mulch on a slope since it is heavier than other mulches and will not wash away easily.
- Longer-lasting lava rocks are attractive and useful in perennial beds around shrubs.
- Lava rock is ideal for temperatures in any extreme weather condition. The rocks release heat at night and are beneficial for plants in colder climates.
- Lava rock is lighter than other rocks, so it is easier to work with.
- This rock type as mulch is well suited to herb gardens and rock gardens.
- Lava rocks are great for areas with shrubs, but not with annuals where organic mulch is better. Avoid using lava rocks in kitchen gardens that need to be worked on and replanted regularly.
- Lava rocks make excellent contrast elements for island beds and other decorative garden elements.
- It allows water to seep into the ground and reduces rain runoff, preventing soil erosion. This prevents land and water pollution.
- It keeps an area relatively weed-free since it prevents weeds from growing or weed seeds from reaching the ground.
Other uses for lava rock
- Lava rocks make for excellent pathways even in combination with pavers. Colours can be chosen to either contrast or complement flower beds or to demarcate walkways.
- The rocky material is suitable for all Japanese garden designs.
- It can be used under decks or with water elements like ponds or fountains.
- It is suitable as stones for a fireplace or fire pit in the garden.
Labrador Landscape Supplies
At Labrador Landscape Supplies, check out our quality pebbles, stones, gravel, lava rocks, and other garden rocks for sale. We also offer other high-quality garden and landscape materials and supplies. Let us know what you need by calling us on 07 5537 2841 or message us at https://landscape-supply.com.au/contact/.